Windows of one of my users suddenly started showing the following error on startup:
Error loading Python DLL: C:\Users\Pratap\AppData\Local\Temp\_MEI61002\python27.dll (error code 5)
Python27.dll was trying to run from Temp folder of the user, so it was obvious to doubt about some kind of infection. We thought that McAfee (antivirus on that computer) may be blocking the files running from Temp folder. And that was really the case, but we cannot allow this to be done.
After some analysis, it was found that this problem started appearing after installation of Google Drive on the computer. Also, this error was preventing Google Drive from running. This was basically a permission related problem.
If you are also facing this problem, follow the below steps and restart the computer:
- Locate the googledrivesync.exe file. It is placed in folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Drive on my computer.
- Right click on this file and select Properties from shortcut menu.
- Navigate to Compatibility tab of open dialog box.
- Select (Tick ON) Run this program as an administrator.
- Click on OK button of apply and close the dialog box.
- Restart the computer (not required immediately, you can do it later).
Now the error in subject will never repeat.